Blog Performance 2022 edition

A few years ago, I did some performance testing on my blog. I run this blog on a single hobby dyno on the Heroku Platform, and I have seen some performance changes over the past few months. Folks have even been tweeting about performance increases on Heroku, so I wanted to look at my non-scientific tests again.

It’s running on a single Heroku Hobby Dyno, with 512m of RAM. It’s running nginx, and all of the files are static - generated by Jekyll.

Testing

I ran AB with a concurrency of 20 on it, and it handled it very well.

Server Software:        nginx
Server Hostname:        greg.nokes.name
Server Port:            443
SSL/TLS Protocol:       TLSv1.2,ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256,2048,128
Server Temp Key:        ECDH X25519 253 bits
TLS Server Name:        greg.nokes.name

Document Path:          /
Document Length:        82735 bytes

Concurrency Level:      20
Time taken for tests:   322.931 seconds
Complete requests:      10000
Failed requests:        6
   (Connect: 3, Receive: 0, Length: 3, Exceptions: 0)
Total transferred:      829739899 bytes
HTML transferred:       827279899 bytes
Requests per second:    30.97 [#/sec] (mean)
Time per request:       645.862 [ms] (mean)
Time per request:       32.293 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent requests)
Transfer rate:          2509.18 [Kbytes/sec] received

Connection Times (ms)
              min  mean[+/-sd] median   max
Connect:        0  288  32.0    285    1269
Processing:   257  356 199.5    280    9456
Waiting:       82   95  11.2     94     394
Total:        528  644 200.3    567    9456

Percentage of the requests served within a certain time (ms)
  50%    567
  66%    578
  75%    814
  80%    823
  90%    835
  95%    845
  98%    862
  99%    936
 100%   9456 (longest request)

I then decided to turn it up to 11, and ran with a concurrency of 100. Not a bad showing, 132 rps is really good for a single, small container.

Server Software:        nginx
Server Hostname:        greg.nokes.name
Server Port:            443
SSL/TLS Protocol:       TLSv1.2,ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256,2048,128
Server Temp Key:        ECDH X25519 253 bits
TLS Server Name:        greg.nokes.name

Document Path:          /
Document Length:        82735 bytes

Concurrency Level:      100
Time taken for tests:   75.743 seconds
Complete requests:      10000
Failed requests:        4
   (Connect: 2, Receive: 0, Length: 2, Exceptions: 0)
Total transferred:      829780642 bytes
HTML transferred:       827320642 bytes
Requests per second:    132.02 [#/sec] (mean)
Time per request:       757.432 [ms] (mean)
Time per request:       7.574 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent requests)
Transfer rate:          10698.42 [Kbytes/sec] received

Connection Times (ms)
              min  mean[+/-sd] median   max
Connect:        0  345  36.4    343    1523
Processing:   262  401 200.2    318   10199
Waiting:       84   97  11.8     95     450
Total:        554  746 199.1    657   10199

Percentage of the requests served within a certain time (ms)
  50%    657
  66%    713
  75%    928
  80%    943
  90%    963
  95%    980
  98%    998
  99%   1021
 100%  10199 (longest request)

Results

      Perc             Old Speed             New Speed             Improvement      
50% 5290 657 88%
66% 5383 713 87%
75% 5446 928 83%
80% 5571 943 83%
90% 6174 963 84%
95% 6718 980 85%
98% 9109 998 89%
99% 9852 1021 90%
Slowest 13795 10199 26%
Mean 7482 1934 74%

So, it appears that I am seeing a big improvement in performance, with no real changes on my side.

I’ll attribute it to Faster Dynos for All.

DaRoost

DaRoost

A wayward journey into the depths of sanity

© 2022 Greg Nokes

Creative Commons License